Wednesday 1 October 2008

Final Thoughts

So, here I am back in London at the end of it all. Eastern Europe is amazing. Beautiful, interesting and fun - and that's just the people. It's hard to say I had a favourite place as I liked different places for different reasons. I guess I liked the Baltics for the women, Kiev and Budapest for stunning cities, Slovakia and Poland for the scenery, Bosnia and Serbia for surprise packages and Croatia for the partying. So it was all good.

It's amazing how easy it was to get around. Almost everywhere, anyone under 35 speaks good English. It wasn't as cheap as I'd anticipated, and at a point I abandoned my budget and decided to just enjoy it as it was a once in a lifetime experience. I don't regret it at all - money well spent. And I like to think I'll keep in touch with many people I met along the way.

The recent history of so many places was pretty humbling. Around 1989 - 1992 there was so much change all over eastern Europe. The fall of communism, the USSR and Yugoslavia were massive and I guess it's pretty amazing how quickly it all happened, and around the same time. So many new countries on the map. And the people are so outward looking and just keen to get on with their lives. Which I guess is human nature.

So, that's a wrap. I'm heading to Bangkok, Sydney, New Zealand and all over South America next. If you're interested, have a look at www.stevegoesglobal.blogspot.com from time to time.

Thanks for looking. Mind those busy roads.

Peace
Steve

No comments: